The mission of Level Up Village, based in Tarrytown, New York, is to globalize the classroom and facilitate meaningful collaboration between students from around the world through innovative enrichment courses. Since 2012, we’ve paired over 1000 classes in 20 countries. Level Up Village, in cooperation with Putnam/Northern Westchester BOCES, created the Connecting Communities course specifically for New York State and Kenyan students who are studying human impact on the environment.
• A social studies exploration and global exchange between New York and Kenya classrooms that will take place October 3rd – 31st.
• Built around New York State requirements and addresses third grade required material, however, it is relevant and appropriate for students in grades 3 and 4.
• Fully prepared lesson plans that incorporate Social Studies Practices and Common Core Literacy Standards.
• A brand new user-friendly platform
• A research guide that helps students in New York and Kenya learn more about their environment
• A revised and easy-to-use student video report workbook
The Level Up Village team, with our partner organization in Kenya (NGO Kenya Connect), pair up NY classrooms with Kenyan classrooms. They exchange “pen pal” videos to learn about each other’s country and culture. They proceed to research human impact on the environment in their regions and exchange more videos to reveal the issues they are facing and the actions they should take.
• Small groups in each class get to make a personal connection with another group and learn directly from them about their culture including daily routines, meals, activities, sports, and school subjects.
• Students get to apply Social Studies Practices in a real-world environment.
• They are excited to learn through researching and discussing their own community.
• They create a grade-level appropriate technology-based presentation to share their learning.
• They practice communication skills as they exchange ideas with their global partner on the LUV secure platform.
• They focus on being solution finders and taking action to implement change in the world.
• They gradually develop a global perspective.
The cost is $550 per classroom (up to 35 students ) + an administrative fee to Putnam/Northern Westchester BOCES. All contracts and fees are processed through P/NW BOCES. Your district may be eligible for CoSer (Cooperative Service) aid. Please check with your administration.
Complete this Level Up Village Contact Us form. We will be happy to answer any questions you might have and, when you are ready, we will register you for the course.
Deadline for registration: Friday, September 16, 2022
Fill out the form below and we’ll get in touch with you as soon as possible!